Everyone loves a Caesar salad but they can often be a not so healthy alternative when piled with fatty dressing. This one is a lighter version with wholegrain croutons. Crack the egg on top and let the yolk flow through the salad- YUM!!!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g chicken tenderloins, sliced into 3 pieces
2 rashers bacon, chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed and diced
2 tablespoons low fat yoghurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 anchovies, very finely diced
1 lemon juice
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cos lettuce
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken, bacon and bread and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Swirl boiling water with a spoon to form a whirlpool and slowly add in egg. Cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Mix together yoghurt, mustard, anchovies, lemon juice and pepper until well combined.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl. Top with chicken, bacon and croutons and drizzle over dressing. Place poached egg on top and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Spring has sprung so it’s time to start eating a little lighter. This is a lovely quick and easy light salad with a sweet lime dressing that will make you wanting more. Perfect for lunch or a light low carb dinner.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
2 baby cos lettuces
1 avocado, sliced
1 tomato, cut into wedges
100g green beans, topped, tailed and blanched
1 BBQ chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
1/3 cup coriander leaves
juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Place lettuce, avocado, tomato, beans, chicken and coriander in a large bowl.
- Mix together lime juice and sugar and pour over salad.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately.
Note: To blanch is to immerse in boiling water for approximately 30 seconds and then to refresh under cold water.
Nutrition information/ Per serve
Calories: 317 Fat: 12.59g Carbs: 14.05g Fibre: 7.97g Sugars: 3.92g Protein: 36.85
Here’s a great recipe that is one of my favourites and is fast and fresh. I also like to use the sea salt and lime on my everyday salads for a nice fresh and healthy dressing. Hope you all love it!!! As spring is approaching fast- there will be plenty more fresh and healthy salad style recipes coming soon. ENJOY. Continue reading