Quinoa is one of the great Super Foods so this summer recipe combines this fabulous superfood with the delicious combination if Chicken, Mango and Avocado with a sweet balsamic dressing. Perfect for those hot summer days! Enjoy.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
½ cup white grain quinoa
1/1/2 cups chicken stock
2 cups BBQ chicken meat, skin removed and chopped
1 mango, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
120g rocket leaves
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1/3 cup mint, chopped
1 tablespoon almonds
- Place the quinoa and stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Leave to sit, covered for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken, mango, avocado, rocket, mint and almonds in a bowl.
- Mix together vinegar and honey and drizzle over salad. Add quinoa and toss well. Serve.
Everyone loves a Caesar salad but they can often be a not so healthy alternative when piled with fatty dressing. This one is a lighter version with wholegrain croutons. Crack the egg on top and let the yolk flow through the salad- YUM!!!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g chicken tenderloins, sliced into 3 pieces
2 rashers bacon, chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed and diced
2 tablespoons low fat yoghurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 anchovies, very finely diced
1 lemon juice
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cos lettuce
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken, bacon and bread and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Swirl boiling water with a spoon to form a whirlpool and slowly add in egg. Cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Mix together yoghurt, mustard, anchovies, lemon juice and pepper until well combined.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl. Top with chicken, bacon and croutons and drizzle over dressing. Place poached egg on top and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.