The cold weather is here so this one of my favourite hearty soups to warm the soul. I love the rich combination of beef and barley and the fresh flavours of parsley. I promise it will warm you up:) Enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20-25 minutes plus soaking of the barley
1 cup pearl barley
1.5 litres beef stock
1 carrot, sliced
3 spring onions, sliced
270g corn kernels
3 sticks celery
250g beef fillet, thinly sliced
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1. Place barley in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight then drain. (Note: If you don’t have time to soak the barley, you will have to increase the cooking time in step 2 to 35 minutes.)
2. Place stock in a large saucepan. Add barley and bring to the boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Add carrot, spring onions, corn, celery and beef and cook a further 3-5 minutes.
3. Stir through parsley and serve with wholegrain crusty bread, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
500g lean beef mince
1 tablespoon ground cumin
juice of lemon
½ cup salsa
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can four bean mix, rinsed and drained
¼ cup coriander, chopped
4 tortillas or flatbreads
½ cup reduced fat grated cheddar cheese
1/3 cup low fat natural yoghurt
1/2 avocado, mashed
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Place mince and cumin in a large frying pan and cook over high heat until golden. Mix through lemon juice, salsa, tomatoes, beans and coriander and cook a further 2-3 minutes.
2. Place tortillas or flatbread on a flat surface and place a 20cm cake tin (lined with baking paper) on top. Cut around the edge with a sharp knife to form a circle that fits into the tin.
3. Spoon 1/3 of the mixture onto the base then repeat with remaining layers. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with yoghurt, avocado and salad if desired.
This weeks menu is another great one to warm us up as it starts to get a little colder. Try this quick and easy chicken chowder that the whole family will love. Click on the link below to watch the video demonstration.
With these cold Autumn days creeping in, it’s time to get out the slow cooker! The perfect and easy way to make delicious hearty dinners for the cooler nights. I love a good beef bourgignon- the rich flavours of garlic, beef and red wine are a favourite of mine. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 hours or 6-8 hours 1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500g chuck steak, fat removed and diced
2 tablespoons plain flour
½ cup beef stock
2 cup red wine
200g button mushrooms, quartered
1 large zucchini, chopped
½ cup parsley, chopped
1. Dust meat in flour then spray a non-stick frying pan with olive oil. Add onion, garlic and steak and sauté for 2 minutes or until brown. Place into slow cooker.
2. Add beef stock, red wine, mushrooms and zucchini and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
3. Stir through parsley and serve with brown rice or mashed potato.