Healthy Chicken Caesar Salad
Everyone loves a Caesar salad but they can often be a not so healthy alternative when piled with fatty dressing. This one is a lighter version with wholegrain croutons. Crack the egg on top and let the yolk flow through the salad- YUM!!!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g chicken tenderloins, sliced into 3 pieces
2 rashers bacon, chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed and diced
2 tablespoons low fat yoghurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 anchovies, very finely diced
1 lemon juice
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cos lettuce
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken, bacon and bread and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Swirl boiling water with a spoon to form a whirlpool and slowly add in egg. Cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Mix together yoghurt, mustard, anchovies, lemon juice and pepper until well combined.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl. Top with chicken, bacon and croutons and drizzle over dressing. Place poached egg on top and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Grilled Pork with Avocado and Bean Salsa
Pork is a great lean protein if you choose the right cut. This recipe uses a loin steak which is not only tasty but also very healthy if any excess fat is trimmed. Don’t overcook it though as it will dry out but if it’s cooked well it will be succulent and this fresh and zesty salsa tops it off- yum, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 x 125g pork loin steaks
400g borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon coriander leaves
1. Place pork on a pre-heated BBQ or char grill and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
2. While pork is resting, mix together avocado, tomato, beans, lime juice and coriander.
3. Serve pork with steamed greens and bean salad.